Tuesday, June 8, 2010

My keys are flying

I have out done myself today. Word count for Half Socnov is 3,996. Only 1,004 and I have a chapter if I was aiming for 17 chapters, 5,000 words per chapter and I have nearly cleared my first 5,000. Snaps for me. And, yes theres more, I have been very restrained with the editing. My other accomplishment is that I've been 'turning up each day'. Because Im in a challenge I have to turn up, tap out, and I dont want to retreat by deleting any work so I just keep going (with the mantra "its just a draft, its just a draft"). Previous attempts at getting beyond a page have been flawed because subconsciously I think I have held an expectatgion that something close to perfection should be produced, without acknowledging that this just does not happen, for anyone. Its draft draft draft. No story has been written in one sitting fully structured, and not requiring some form of redraft and/or editing. It's also been interesting that while I have been tweaking and typing, my story has taken form from the 'panster' approach, but I have a gut feeling that once I have a bit more, I will then revert to the outlining. This is because the story is revealing a bit more of itself as I type, and my confusion is being teased out, hopefully enough soon that I will have a skeleton to flesh out.

No comments:

Post a Comment